Friday 12 January 2018

Beyond the Medical Profession

As I was going through my picture gallery, I came across this picture and I smiled. At first I felt bad I never fulfilled my promise to visit the family but I focused on relationship beyond presence( this I might write on soon).This was actually one of my greatest testimonies during my Youth Service year. I  served in a PHC as such we don't manage critical conditions but I will want to discuss Innocent's story with you all.
Little Innocent is the second to last child of his parents in a family of nine. He fell critically ill and was rushed to the hospital in a subconscious state towards the end of my service year. My in-charge instructed me to attend to the little boy and that I did. Results showed a PCV of 12%, malaria ++ and history of Peptic Ulcer disease. I quickly engaged the mother and 'assumed father' of the state of the child and the need for an urgent transfusion.

The look on the mother's face was really discouraging. "The father isn't around and I don't have money for it" she said in her local dialect . She seemed helpless but not willing to proffer a solution. My in-charge instructed me to give them a referral note to go to the general hospital. They carried the boy and I followed suite. I never knew what prompted my action until I discovered they were taking the boy home.
A passerby with little understanding of english communicated to me what they were saying. People of God you won't believe the words I heard "Even if he dies at least I have 6 other children".The weather was a bit cold that day but I found myself sweating. I made them do a quick swift back to the hospital and picked up my phone to call a friend to come donate blood. I was confused. I was angry. But he just have to survive.
I held him in my hands and cried. I  remembered the exact words of Dr. Ikenna Valentine Oje in handling patients when it seems all hope is gone. I knew it was a near death condition but I spoke to the Boy firmly with faith I have never experienced "Be healed in Jesus Name". I saw he was still breathing and I hurriedly did a blood group and cross match.
The blood group showed he is AB+ and I found myself smiling. I don't need to call anyone again to donate. This was very unusual as I am AB+ too. It's so not common to find them you know. I quickly screened myself and the boy and asked one of the staff to bleed me.
Hours later, Innocent opened his eyes. I saw the smile on the mother's face and I knew her previous statements were born out of frustration. I knew she loved her son no matter what but could give him up because of money. I was excited Jesus healed the boy and It dawned on me that all the seminars of family planning done in the hospital has still not achieved it's aim.
Aside the group seminars, these people need to be spoken to one on one else the mortality rates amongst these innocent children will be on the increase .Just incase you are yet to get a Job like me, there's much work to be done other than sit and wait for a paid job. You might not see the blessings immediately, but believe me these things will surely speak for you someday.
Beyond the Medical Profession, Jesus Heals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment