Sunday 28 January 2018

True eight worshippers

Just when you should have believed more, Richee writes...
That moment when you stare down the barrel of a gun...
The pastor in my church told us this true life story but I've decided to add my own sugar and pepper to drive home a point.
"A congregation of 160 people were worshipping in a church one Sunday when all of a sudden, gunshots rented the air and in no time, the place was surrounded with a small army of Boko Haram soldiers, brandishing AK47s.
"The leader snatched the mic from the pastor and shoved him aside. With a boastful tone, he bellowed:
'All of you that are calling this your Jesus. Oya, let me see if this your Jesus will be able to save you from my hand today.'


Next, he sounded the order that if one was for Jesus, dress this way. If you weren't for Jesus, dress that way. His men, brandishing firearms and cocking guns for the slaughter.
My math is lousy but I believe 10% of 160 is somewhere around 16. 5% of 160 should thus be 8.
Eight.
That was the number of the 160 large congregation that "dressed to the Jesus side" ready to embrace death for God's sake.
At this moment, One of the mecenaries, the second in command perhaps, came to whisper something in the ear of the leader. His hardened features suddenly softened a notch and he turned to the 8.
By now all would have had sufficient time to say their last prayers and commit their souls to God like Stephen did before his head was battered with a massive stone.
The leader then said, 'It's you 8 that are the true worshippers of your Jesus. You are free to go.'
Utter shock, relief and panic swept the place. What just happened?
Save to say, the 8 ran off before the leader could change his mind.
And the remainder, the 152...were utterly slaughtered.
"Anyone who tries to save his life will lose it. Any one who loses his life for me will gain it." Jesus said.
Anyway that's not what happens in this particular story. It happens in the real story, but in this simulation, just as the 8 turn to run home, the pastor announces that it's all fake and just a test.
If I was to ask you reading this what side you would take, the 8 or the 152, all of you would say the 8, but unfortunately for you, I highly doubt that.
Because that moment when you look down the barrel of a gun...that moment when you stare death right in the eye and realise "Oh my God. I think this is it!"
99% of you reading this will turn your backs on your creator and try to save yourselves.
Think about this deeply in your heart and pray to God that you don't deny him. It's not a "God forbid" matter. Don't say it won't happen to you really. How do you know that?
Take this time to really think about where you stand.
"If you deny me, I will deny you before my father in heaven." Jesus said.
I'm signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment