Sunday 4 March 2018

Just Smile

I boarded a bus yesterday and was told I would be charged #150 to get to my destination, I almost hesitated but I was late to the training.
The vehicle was filled up with alot of persons from the western part of Nigerian. It's weekend so I expected people to feel okay as they are not in for the weeks' stress.
I tried to sit down properly; she shuttered for a second and screamed. 'You wan wound me abi' with her deep Yoruba accent. I smiled. She was mute.
She'd have expected a lash back but I didn't. My bags were getting too heavy on my laps. I tried to adjust them, my hands lay comfortably on her lap. I got a quick push, and I turned to her. The face of an angry middle aged lady was shown brightly on my face.



Is she OK? I was about uttering a word but I found out my facial muscles responsible for laughter and smiles were active.
Her tongue was already being tightened by her teeth. I noticed her beautiful dentition above all she wanted me to feel or see.
The normal word Facebook users often use in their write-ups popped up. 'She's really a Yoruba demon'. I couldn't utter a word,  but I could smile without reasons.
The traffic was immense and my clock was ticking fast. I ran through the world of imagination and saw Chizzy Michelle Uzoukwu shouting at me for coming late.
I wished at that moment that having magical powers were easy. The vehicle was moving very slow. Two vacant seats were in the front row, and a man and his wife(not sure) rushed in to sit down.
I heard her scream again. What's the problem madam? I asked the woman sitting close to me. You no see as the man wan break my hand? Don't worry you will be fine OK!
I applied little pressure and watched her reaction. I sensed pain. Regrets. Hurts.
Conductor abeg give me my #50 change I said in a low tone. Madam I no get change the conductor replied me angrily.
Wetin you mean sef my neighbor screamed back. Give this better aunty her change joor or you collect #100 from her.

I was mute.

I was shocked.

I was excited.

Her previously sad face was radiating and I could feel her excitement. What happened in the past few minutes I can't say. But her change in reaction and support to the person she just attacked few minutes back was amazing.
Aunty where you go stop? I  told her. Abeg conductor do give aunty her change she go stop soon.
I alighted few minutes later. She bid me farewell and I smiled.
Just Smile ☺ ☺.

No comments:

Post a Comment